Friday, 22 March 2013

South Africa

Well hello there, long time no see!

I said that I would post more here, and then failed, obviously.

Anyway, in my last post I talked about going to South Africa. We were there for 10 days and it was uh, quite the adventure. We flew in to Johannesburg and then rented a car (a standard - which Roderick had only driven a handful of times, in Afghanistan, where the speed limit was 20km/hr and it didn't really matter if you crashed - so that was an adventure in itself) and drove the 4 hours to Nelspruit, where we were going to stay with my friend Riki. She and I were best friends when we lived in the Netherlands, and we kept in touch so I figured it'd be cool to see her again. In the time we were with Riki, we went to Kruger Park and went on safari, saw the Drie Rondavels, God's Window, plenty of waterfalls, and a lot of nature. It was great, minus the fact that it turns out, Riki and I actually hate each other. Yeah, unfortunately I grew up, and she hadn't. I won't go into all the gory details, but basically there was a lot of screaming and crying, and then hundreds of dollars spent to change our plane tickets so we could get the hell out of there. A very expensive lesson, but what can you do?

In a way, it was good because it meant we would spend more time in Cape Town, which just so happens to be the most amazing city that I've ever been to. Sorry Ottawa, you've moved into second place. We ate a lot of delicious food, saw a lot of beautiful scenery, and had a wonderful time when it was just the two of us. I ended up spending a few hours with another friend from the Netherlands, Ibti, so that was nice too. And the best part of all? I got to swim with Great White Sharks! Fuck yeah! (Excuse my language). It was Rod's number one dream, and he (stupidly?) reached his arm out of the cage, and touched one. It was incredibly amazing to see the love of my life's dream come true.

Here, have some photos, in no particular order.


 At God's Window

 Drie Rondavels

 Cape Town from halfway up Table Mountain



 Cape of Good Hope




No comments:

Post a Comment