Friday, 10 August 2012

Home away from home

Almost a week since we've lived here and I'm still enjoying myself. There were a few days where I was a little bummed out (mainly because I hate having rules and not being able to wear what I want was starting to piss me off), but I met a lovely French-Canadian couple who are our neighbours, and they've really made me feel welcome. J is sweet, loving, and just a generally all around nice person, and her husband R is great too. They invited us to lunch at the club a few days ago when I first met them, then we had a delicious home cooked meal at their house last night, made by their chef. Yes, they have a chef, most people do, along with maids, gardeners, even car washers. It's going to be quite difficult moving back to Canada and leaving all these luxuries behind.

The chef cooked up a delicious veal dish, with a yummy gravy type of sauce, the best mashed potatoes I've had in a long time, and green beans and tomatoes, along with a very unusual salad that was to die for and a brownie cake for dessert. I don't even like green beans but they were amazing, probably because I haven't had a home cooked meal in forever. We are having lunch with them again today, and then on Sunday night we're having dinner.

Another thing that has bummed me out is the time difference. I'm 9 hours ahead of home, so it's been pretty difficult to call home. Rod gets home from work at 6pm, we usually go to the gym, have a swim and then dinner. So by the time I'm done all that, it's pretty much bed time. And when I do want to call home, like right now, it's 11am so nobody's awake.



1 comment: