Monday, 26 November 2012

Bangkok

Well, we're back from our two week holiday in Thailand. It was great to get away, as the hubby really needed a vacation, and he's never really been on a proper holiday before, aside from our road trip to Boston in the summer. All the other "vacations" were work related, Afghanistan, Germany and Cyprus. So this was an exciting one for us!

Before we arrived in Pakistan, we knew that Thailand would be our first vacation. Rod had heard lots of great things about it, and once we arrived here, everyone was telling us that we must go there first. It's close, it's cheap, and it's just a beautiful place to visit!

Our first stop was Bangkok. I am happy that I had the chance to see it, but I don't think I'd want to pay to go back. It's nice, yes, but it's a big city and I'm more into beaches, nature, etc. It was interesting though, stinky, dirty, full of hookers and LadyBoys, great for shopping, and full of delicious restaurants!

For those wondering what LadyBoys are, they're basically someone who was born a man, but lives their life as a woman. We would call them transgendered. In Thailand, it's perfectly normal and ok for someone to have this lifestyle, and they're actually thought of as a third sex, which I found to be very interesting! Now if only every country could be so open to this.



While in Bangkok, we visited Nana, which is basically the Red Light District. Full of hookers, strip clubs, and old men looking to have a good time. I've actually never seen so many old white men with hot young Asians in my life! They're everywhere, but good on them I suppose. I've never been to a strip club and sort of wanted to test it out, but we never had the chance as we were in bed early each night and up at 6am.


We took a day trip to Ayutthaya, which was founded in 1350 and now just a bunch of ruins.







After our trip to Ayutthaya, we stopped in at Bang Pa-In Palace, but a massive storm came in quick so unfortunately we didn't get to see all of it.


Another day we went to see a floating market. We took a traditional long boat through the canals to get to the floating market, which was just amazing. I was in awe, and it is probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen or done. Basically, people set up shops alongside the canals, and tourists and locals alike get in the boats and float along from one shop to the other, buying things that they need, or don't need.



We were only in Bangkok for a couple of days, and that was enough I thought. Glad I've had the opportunity to see it as it really is an interesting place! 

No comments:

Post a Comment