Saturday, 22 September 2012

National Day(s) of Protest

These past few days have been pretty crazy around here. All thanks to some lunatic who thought it'd be a good idea to create an Anti-Islam film. Thanks, dude!

The protests started on Wednesday and have continued up until now even. However, I think today they will be a bit more peaceful, at least that's what we've been told. The president told everyone to take yesterday off work, and dubbed it as a National Day of Protest. They were told to keep it peaceful, but obviously that did not happen. Fortunately for us, there were thousands of riot police, and even the military were called in to keep things controlled. Thank god for those guys who were there to protect us, because things got pretty out of control. They destroyed buildings, cars, set them on fire, broke windows, and at least 17 people were killed in the riots throughout Pakistan. So sad.

Yesterday was a very long day for me. I acted fine on the outside, but inside I was going through so many emotions. It was a very scary situation for me - not knowing what the outcome would be. But fortunately everyone is okay! Thank you God. And coming from Canada, where things (generally) are quite safe, I've never been in a situation like this at all before.

I just hope that things cool down soon so that it is safe for us once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment